What You Need To Know
When it comes to maximizing the health benefits of juicing, there are a few things we need to keep in mind.
- When you juice, the insoluble fiber is removed although the soluble fiber mostly remains in the juice. Your body was designed to work with dietary fiber from the foods we eat. So, juicing is a part of a healthy diet... it's just not the fountain of youth all by itself.
- Calories can add up if you use too much fruit. Juicing should be very heavy on the veggie side with just enough fruit to help it taste better if you want to sweeten the juice up a little. Veggies are typically much lower in calories than fruit.
- Combining the 2 bullet points above, too much fruit juice adds a lot of natural sugars to the juice with the fiber removed. This can spike blood sugar levels and the insulin response that comes with it. Stay heavy on the veggies, light on the fruits.
- Commercially available juices are processed and have had much of their nutritional profile destroyed.
- Although mentioned above, I'm going to call this out again...don't go on a juice fast. It lacks the protein and fiber you need for optimum health.
- Again, stay heavy on the veggies, light on the fruit as a general rule to keep the calories and sugars low while still getting a blast of nutrition.
The Juice Cleansing Craze
Juice cleansing is a buzz word I hear all too often. It's important
enough a subject to warrant its own subsection here in the "what you
need to know" section.
It's not the juice that cleanses...it's the nutritional profile of the juice that enables the body to cleanse itself.
being said, the important thing to know here is that when juicing, your
body is more fully enabled to remove toxins through the liver and
kidneys. So, it is important to:
- Drink plenty of water before and after juicing to enable your body to effectively remove the toxins through the urine.
- Eat a well balanced diet as a part of juicing to enable your body to remove toxins through the liver and into your bowels.
reason it is important to also have a well balanced diet as a part of
juicing is because when your liver removes toxins into your bowels after
juicing, it will need to be moved out of your body through the fiber
present in your bowels. If there is nothing in your gut to absorb the
toxins being sent there by the liver and then passed out of your body,
it could be reabsorbed again.
This is why I do not advocate juice fasting.
should be used as a supplement -- a tool -- as a part of an overall
balanced organic diet. Otherwise, you risk not being able to capitalize
on the health benefits of juicing you're hoping to get from the effort.
your health is very bad or you are very obese, you could try a juice
cleanse similar to what is shown in a very good documentary called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead by Joe Cross.
This is a cool story about his journey from obesity, medications and a
long list of health issues to excellent health using juice as a tool. He
goes on a juice fast first, then transitions to a healthy diet. Great
documentary and good information!