water purification is one of the single most important things we can
take control of that will positively impact our health. Unquestionably,
water is the number one nutrient we need and composes as much as 65-70%
of the average human body. Every single day of our lives, our body
depends on it either directly or indirectly for every bodily function.
pollutants found in the water you drink will make its way into every
part of your body from the intracellular level (meaning inside cells) on
Especially dangerous are pollutants that humans have never
been exposed to in the not-so-distant past that today make their way
into water systems all over the world. Some of these nasty pollutants
can change everything from hormone regulation and production to causing
cancer through cell destruction to nervous system damage.
Potential Tap Water Contaminants
To understand why a quality drinking water purification system is needed in every household, let's take a brief look at what we're dealing with from a tap water perspective in the U.S.:
- In a three year study, the EPA found 202 unregulated chemicals in tap water in 45 states.
- Some of the chemicals found include such things as industrial solvents, weed killer, refrigerants, detergents, petroleum hydrocarbons, heavy metals, ammonia, pesticides, disinfection byproducts...even a component of rocket fuel called perchlorate. There are many many more I could list.
- Many of the industrial pollutants have no regulated federal safety standard set for maximum safe levels. Of the chemicals that do have a safety limit, many of them can get very close to the maximum allowable level.
- A wide array of pharmaceutical drugs have been found in tap water and include mood stabilizers, antidepressants, anti-convulsants, ibuprofen, antibiotics, cholesterol medications, estrogen, tranquilizers and the list goes on and on and on.
- Water treatment plants also need to add some chemicals to sanitize the tap water such as chlorine. Sanitization is great, just don't want to drink the chemicals that made it that way.
- Fluoride. I have no idea why any water treatment plant anywhere would add a neurotoxic poison to our water supply. Fluoride is known to be toxic even at low doses and the human body has absolutely no use for it. Further, it isn't classified as a nutrient so we shouldn't be bio-accumulating this in our bodies for any reason. Think you need fluoride for your teeth? Although I don't think we do for my own reasons, you get plenty of it in your toothpaste which is why it tells you not to swallow it and to contact a poison control center right away if you do. This warning alone tells you that fluoride is a poison. Either way, you don't need it in your tap water and you certainly don't need to drink it.
Even more frightening, let's take a very brief look at what some of these chemicals can do to your health. These are just examples of some health problems we may be experiencing and not have any idea why or where it could have come from or maybe we just blame the issues on getting older since we can't come up with any other causes. Since the focus of this article is on drinking water purification, I will abbreviate this list and not include the details, but you get the picture. This is scary stuff, folks:
- Nervous system damage
- Reproductive problems
- Immunity issues
- Thyroid damage
- Endocrine system damage. (This is hormone central for your body!)
- Liver damage
- Birth defects
- Kidney damage
These chemicals and pharmaceuticals get into the water in a few different ways and range from runoff from non-organic farms, factories, storm drains and sewage treatment plants. Regardless of how it gets there, you don't want this stuff in your body especially when it is clearly the most important nutrient you need.
The reason that these chemicals are getting through the water treatment plants is because they were designed to purify the water we drink from natural contaminants such as bacteria, parasites and turbidity. Our water treatment plants have done a great job doing this for a long time but they were not designed to deal with the new onslaught of exposure from these industrial chemicals and pharmaceuticals that have made their way into our water sources.
This is why we can no longer blindly rely on the tap water to bring you the level of purification you should have to sustain a high level of vitality, health and strength. Today's new world of water consumption needs to include a high quality drinking water purification system. Gone are the days when we can blindly trust that the water we're drinking is pure enough to promote optimum health.
Drinking Water Purification - Where To Start
Not all drinking water purification products are created equal. This is just one of those things where you get what you pay for. Knowing what you're getting for your hard earned dollar and linking it to your health goals sets the driver for what you purchase and will always lead you down the right path for your specific goals.
Drinking water purification systems are not really what we're after here. What we're after is the deliverable, or result, that a drinking water purification system will deliver to you...It's the "why" you need to do this. The "why" is purified water to promote optimum health and to remove the contaminants that may be lurking within that could harm you...even if you don't know they're there. Just because your water looks fine doesn't mean that it is. Take no chances!!!
Below is an outline of the deliverables that I wanted out of a drinking water purification system that had to be met before I would consider parting with my money to acquire. Anything less would have been a compromise and I just couldn't allow a compromise to my health or that of my family:
- Simple and easy to use. I didn't want or need anything complex or difficult to deal with.
- Easy to maintain and clean.
- Inexpensive enough to use every single day. I didn't want to consistently buy replacement filters or parts to keep it running effectively.
- Uses no electrical power. In case of any electrical outage, I didn't want to be unable to purify water.
- Effective enough to use alternative sources of water such as lakes or streams. This would be an important capability in case of a natural disaster or some other event that may stop the flow of water to the tap.
- Must be small enough to be portable.
- Must be reliable or dare I even say durable. I didn't want anything so delicate I had to be super careful with it.
- Must remove a wide variety of chemical contaminants effectively to either undetectable levels or to extremely low levels.
- Can not be made of plastic in order to prevent the possible leaching of plastic chemicals into the purified water.
- Must be able to remove fluoride and heavy metals.
- Must be able to remove pathogens, bacteria and parasites.
- Must be able to remove chlorine and other inorganic materials.
- Must remove turbidity, odors and tastes.
- Must remove nitrates.
- Must remove volatile organic compounds